76 Main Street, Farmington, CT
The Farmington Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1803 under the name of the Farmington Fire Society. This organization operated until 1901 when the borough of Farmington took over its operation. The society was then reorganized to form the Farmington Volunteer Fire Department. Consisting solely of volunteers, the department ordered its first truck and housed it in a building on Farmington Avenue owned by Mr. Fred Swanson. This building still exists today though it has been converted for commercial office space.
In 1930 the Borough built a new firehouse at its current location on Main St. The Borough merged into the Town of Farmington in 1947 and despite the changes in local government the Fire Department has maintained its tradition of volunteerism still today. Throughout this period, the membership has continued to grow as the needs of the community required additional services.
Fifty years later, on April 7, 1980 the constituents of the Town of Farmington voted to appropriate the expenditure of $275,000.to facilitate a renovation and expansion of the existing building. Work began in May of 1980 and was completed in December of the same year.
112 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, CT
Oakland Gardens, a subdivision of the Town of Farmington, is nestled between the West Hartford Reservoir and Mountain Spring Road. Starting as a small neighborhood in the late 1800’s, it blossomed into a full-blown subdivision in the early 1900’s.
While the firehouse was under construction, the Community Club raised money to purchase their first fire truck, a used 1937 GMC.
By the 1980s, the firehouse building was showing its age and needed major repairs. Since the Community Club did not have sufficient funds for the needed work, it negotiated with the Town to have it take ownership of the firehouse and property. The Town then funded the building renovations and the purchase of the OGVFD’s first new fire truck, Engine 8.
In November of 1990, to improve efficiency and cooperation among Town firefighters, the Town Council approved the merger of the OGVFD and the Farmington Volunteer Fire Department, located on Main St. in Town. Firefighters Dennis Person and Ben Talit led the negotiations for the merger, which was approved unanimously by the OGVFD. The Oakland Gardens firehouse would remain and serve as a substation of the merged Departments. The Town then purchased two new vehicles for the Oakland Gardens station.
During the 1990’s the town undertook a review and update of all fire facilities, resulting in the demolition of the original Oakland Gardens firehouse and the construction of a new, state-of-the-art facility.